Fifth-grade curriculum calls
for more parental support than ever. Basic math facts are critical to the challenges
ahead, and all four operations must be mastered. The science skills acquired in previous
grades will be reinforced, and more detailed concepts will be introduced. In social
studies, fifth-graders will be called upon to develop perspectives, construct arguments,
demonstrate skills with geographic tools and technologies, and examine and analyze
Where They Are
ten-year-old has a positive approach to life. He/She:
· Tends to be obedient, good natured, and fun.
· Possesses a surprising scope of interests.
· Finds TV very important and identifies with TV
· Is capable of increasing independence.
· Is becoming more truthful and dependable.
· Tends to be improving her self-concept and
acceptance of others.
· Forms good personal relationships with teachers and
At ten-years-old, your child is developing communication skills and becoming more mature.
You can help by encouraging him as he:
· Improves his listen and responding skills.
· Increases his problem-solving abilities.
· Begins to undergo maturational changes.
· Gains awareness of peer and adult expectations.
By the time
she's in fifth grade, your child will need to take almost full responsibility for her
homework. She will be using assignment notepads and learning good studying and note-taking
habits. Find out what else your child will learn this year.
· Follow all capitalization rules.
· Use all punctuation marks appropriately.
· Appreciate different forms of literature.
· Increase their vocabularies through the use of
synonyms, antonyms, homophones, and analogies.
· Recognize and use all parts of speech.
· Add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions and
· Recognize relationships between fractions,
decimals, and percents.
· Determine the perimeter of polygons and the area of
squares and rectangles.
· Use basic spelling rules.
· Understand basic United States history, geography,
economics, and government.
· Use mathematics in the study of science.
· Understand the major topics of physical, life, and
earth sciences in greater depth.